TPM clearly identifies roles of Top management, Operators and Maintenance
Role of Top Management in TPM & Autonomous Maintenance: For Top Management pillar champions are identified to provide leadership in terms of:
- Setting priorities (where to start, what next?)
- Setting expectations (work standards to be applied consistently)
- Giving recognition (reinforce values)
Role of Operator in Autonomous Maintenance: Key Objective of Autonomous Maintenance is to create equipment competent operators & to detect and prevent forced deterioration. As operators become more closely involved in getting the very best from their machines, they move through seven steps of Autonomous maintenance:
- Initial cleaning: Operators will clean the machines with an objective of identifying Abnormalities
- Carrying out countermeasures at the source of problems: Operators are involved in taking countermeasures to eliminate repeated abnormalities and reduce cleaning time by following standards
- Developing and implementing cleaning and lubrication standards: Operators are trained on following standards for cleaning, lubrication and inspection
- General inspection routines
- Autonomous inspection
- Organization and tidiness
- Full autonomous maintenance
As these seven steps are taken, over an agreed and achievable timetable, operators will develop straightforward common-sense skills which enable them to play a full part in ensuring optimum availability of machines.
Role of Maintenance Team in Autonomous Maintenance: Key role of Maintenance team is to support, train & guide operators in implementation of all 7 Steps of Autonomous Maintenance
- Refurbish critical equipment and establish back-up strategies
- Contain accelerated deterioration and develop countermeasures to common problems. Establish correct parameter settings.
- Set condition monitoring and routine servicing standards to improve response times and reduce sporadic failures.
- Use event analysis to fine-tune asset care delivery towards zero breakdowns.
- Routine restoration of normal wear to stabilize component life. Hand over routine maintenance to operators.
- Use senses to detect internal deterioration.
- To extend component life and improve equipment life prediction