The 5S approach is a simple but powerful method for shopfloor improvement. Progressive shopfloor improvement techniques are vital for companies who want to stay competitive and to achieve world-class excellence. Companies must find new ways to ensure the survival in this competitive environment by adapting to the changing business needs.
5S is a powerful improvement process that gives impressive results. Main challenge of implementing 5S is developing a shopfloor understanding of its key points and tools.
Learn how to put this powerful and proven improvement tool in the hands of your entire workforce. Implementation of five pillars of 5S is the starting point in the development of improvement activities.
The five pillars are defined as:-
1. Sort 2. Set in Order 3. Shine 4. Standardise 5. Sustain
We practice these five pillars in our personal lives without even noticing it. We do keep our things like wastebaskets, towels, clothes etc using Sort and Set in Order.
These 5 pillars are in fact the foundation for achieving zero defects, cost reduction, safety improvements and zero accidents. 5S system sounds simple and basic, but we do forget to realise the importance in the daily work of a workplace.
a neat and clean workplace has higher productivity
- a neat and clean workplace produces fewer defects
- a neat and clean workplace meets deadlines better
- a neat and clean workplace is a much safer place to work
Systematic Arrangement means that you arrange needed items so that they are easy to use and label them so that anyone can find them and put them away.Key steps of systematic arrangement are what to store, how much to store, where to store and how to store.
- In order todecide on appropriate locations, 5S Map is a tool that can be used to evaluate current locations of parts, jigs, tools, equipment, and machinery, and to decide best locations for these items.
The next step is to identify best locations using The Signboard and Painting Strategies that helps to identify, what should go where and in what quantities.
Standardise helps to maintain the first three pillars-Sort, Set in Order, and Shine.
To be able to do & sustain 3S (Sorting, Systematic arrangement and Shining Cleaning) work in the best known way
To ensure that quantity & quality of work is consistent
To provide a basis for improvement
To provide a basis for daily management/ supervision
To provide a basis for training new employees
Here are some of the Standards to be created as a part of 5S implementation:
What items should be kept in the areas & what items should not be kept
Red Tagging and Red Tag disposal Standards
Systematic Arrangement Standards
Standards on How much to Store
- Standards on Where to Store
Standards on How to Store
- Labeling& Signboard Standards
- Floor Marking Standards
- Shadow Board Standards
- It gives you an opportunity to provide input regarding how your workplace should be organized and laid out and how your work should be done
- It makes your workplace more pleasant to work in
It makes your job more satisfying
It helps remove many obstacles and frustrations in your work
It helps to know what you are expected to do, and when and where you are expected to do it.
It makes it easier to communicate with everyone you work with